Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Informational Interview

Q: How did this type of work interest you and how did you get started?
A: I was a single mother of a little girl and just out of high school. I knew that I would have to do something to take care of my daughter. I then looked into the nursing field and found it to be a job that I could enjoy and that I can excel in. I went to UVU when it was UVSC and went through their nursing program. I did some practical hours at Utah Valley Regional Medical Center and loved it there.

Q: How did you get your job?
A: After I passed the state licensure testing for being a LPN, I contacted the human resources at Utah Valley Regional Medical Center and I put my application in to be a NICU (newborn intensive care unit) nurse. I got the job.

Q: What jobs and experiences have led you to your present position?
A: I started out as an LPN. I continued my schooling for one more year and became an RN. I worked as just a nurse in the NICU. After many long hours and 6 years I became the assistant shift nurse. Then after 5 more years I became the head shift nurse. Two years ago I returned to school and received my BS in nursing. This is where I am presently at.

Q: What kinds of problems do you deal with?
A: I run into problems daily in my job. I deal with other nurses and supervising them in doing the best that they can do. I also deal with very small and sick babies. I am responsible to make sure that their needs are being met and make sure that I notice any signs of complications. I also had to learn to be able to handle it when we lose a baby. We can only do so much for a baby. In this job you have to learn to deal with death.

Q: Can you suggest some ways a student could obtain this necessary experience?
A: If you want to work in a hospital, then volunteer at a hospital or other medical facility. Also try and to get a job as a CNA or anything medical. There are a lot of medical jobs out there that you need little or no training for. Even though they may not pay very well, it is something good to put on a resume.

Q: What are the various jobs in this field or organization?
A: You can work in any area of the hospital as an RN once you are licensed. There are many options, NICU, pediatrics, ICU, emergency room and more. You can also work in doctor's offices, retirement homes, and schools. There are just too many to name.

Q: Why did you decide to work for this company?
A: I did my practicum hours here at this hospital and learned a lot about how it was ran and the benefits were great!

Q: What were the keys to your career advancement?
A: I think that the main ones were being on time ready to work very hard. Be persistent. Find a place to work and field that interests you.

I chose to find a nurse that had a lot of experience. My nephew was in the newborn ICU when he was born. My family spent a lot of time there at the hospital. That is where I met Keri Beardall. She is the lead shift nurse in the newborn ICU and has 19 years at her job. I contacted her when I saw this assignment and asked her to help me with it. I then read over the readings and chose questions that sparked my interest to hear the answers. I learned a few different things but most important, I was introduced to a different point of view as to the important things when choosing a job. I had thought about death before but, I want to make sure I can handle it so I am attempting to volunteer in a high mortality department at the hospital. I also decided that I should keep my friendship up with Keri because she will be a good reference to be able to use when looking for employment. I enjoyed doing this interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment