Thursday, August 12, 2010

My Job Shadowing Experience

I did my job shadowing at a company with the name The Journey. My sister in law works there. Her name is Teresa Spresser and her job title is line staff. The following are the questions I asked her and the answers that she gave.

What is your job?
I work with troubled youth in a group home setting. I ensure that their needs are being met while trying to teach them the ways to live as a productive citizen in society.

What kind of problems do you deal with?
My job can be very emotionally draining yet very rewarding. I deal with females that have made decisions in their lives that were not good choice. A lot of the girls have gone through traumatic things in their lives and have a difficult time trusting and have anger issues. I have to redirect and try to help them when they have a hard time with their anger. I also periodically have to watch a girl who is either suicidal or has tried running away so they are placed on a 24 hour watch.

What things did you do before you entered this occupation?
I worked in the food industry and did not want to do it anymore.

Why did you decide to work for this company?
I was sick of working in fast food industry and needed a change. I saw that this company was hiring and thought, I might as well put in my application. So I did and I am happy that I was given this opportunity to work here.

What do you like most about this company?
I enjoy knowing that the work I am doing makes a difference with the future of our youth.

Do you find your job exciting or boring? Why?
I find it exciting because among other things, I can make a difference and thing are not always the same and repetitive.

How would you assess the experience I’ve had so far in terms of entering this field?
You already have some medical experience and you seem to be able to talk well to the girls.

How has your job affected your lifestyle?
Well, I have learned appreciation for my mother and what I put her though during my youth.

My overall impression of the career and the job shadowing experience is first, I believe that I could truly enjoy this field but, I believe I would like to do more along the lines of being the counselor. I pick up on things pretty well and I am rather blunt about it and that is one of the thing that the girls I spoke to expressed. Second, the job shadowing experience was fun it gave me a chance to experience something new. I got to talk to some of the girls and get to know them just a little bit. Thank you for this experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment