Friday, August 13, 2010

My Final Reflection Paper


I am still not 100% sure as to what I want to be when I grow up. I do have some ideas but, I am not sure. The career that I am leaning towards is becoming a Registered Nurse. I have a real want to help people and do service.

When looking at the Action plan that I constructed, I have begun a few steps listed in it. I have decided that I am going to get EMT certified. The city of Spanish Fork (which is where I live), is presently offering financial assistance to people that want to get certified to work for the city as an EMT. I would have to commit to them for a specified amount of time but I believe it would be worth it. The pay ranges from volunteer to being on call making $2 when not on a call and $8/hour when out on a call. I have gone ahead and contacted the city and am presently preparing the application for this program. I feel like this is a great option for me. I can have my schooling paid for (at least for the certification classes) and use my pell grant to help with my family's bills and living expenses for that semester. I have decided to sign up for the EMT courses, whether I get accepted in this program or not. I found out while doing research for this class, that I can get a job in an IHC emergency room with that certification and plan on pursuing this option once I am close to getting my certification. I also learned of programs that IHC facilities have which help people pay for their schooling when they have worked there for a certain amount of time.


When I began this class I was not sure what it could offer me. Now I can say that it has offered me clarity on some things, given me ideas, introduced resources, and gave me some great tools to help me with my job decision. Since the first assignment which was the why paper, I wanted to know what route I should be taking to make a good life for myself and family. I believe that I am closer to this decision than I was. The personal action plan both in lesson 2 and the refined one that I did along with my goals in lesson 14, helped me see what steps I need to take and setup a plan to accomplish my goals of being a Registered nurse. I also feel like the resume portion of this course from lesson 11 helped me a lot. I have never been really good at preparing resumes so this practice was very helpful not only in writing my own but also from reading other peoples resume and commenting gave me an opportunity to get ideas on how to better my resume.


There were so many good things from this class that I cannot write it all here. Thank you again for the opportunity to learn these things and open doors for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment